Re: Save and load window states

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Save and load window states
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 16:29:34 +0100

> Saving works this way.  The file has the same contents shown in the
> *Messages* buffer when doing a manual `window-state-get'.  On loading, I
> get either "Invalid read syntax #"

This is a bug.  Please report it as Drew suggested.

> or "End of file during parsing".

This is probably due to the fact that you called `my-load-frame' twice
in a row and you were already at the end of the buffer in the second
call so there was nothing more to read.

> I am thinking that this has something to do with how emacs reads and
> evaluates objects.

Partly, yes.

> Can someone give me a hint on how to make it work?

Please comment out the two code lines

                (unless (window-parameter window 'clone-of)
                  ;; Make a clone-of parameter.
                  (setq list (cons (cons 'clone-of window) list)))

in the function `window--state-get-1' and recompile window.el (possibly
twice - I'm somewhat confused by Stefan's backquote syntax here).  These
lines are currently for internal use only, their absence should not harm
you.  If you still see problems, please tell me.

Thanks, martin