Re: "C-h k" reports "<keybinding> is undefined"

From: York Zhao
Subject: Re: "C-h k" reports "<keybinding> is undefined"
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 14:55:04 -0500

>> I have noticed this problem for awhile that for some of the
>> key bindings "C-h k" shows "<key binding> is undefined".
>> For example, when I type "C-h k M-q", it says "M-q is undefined",
>> but I really did bind it to my own function and my
>> function was working because If I set breakpoint in the
>> function where "M-q" was being bound to and press "M-q" I was
>> able to get into the function. The key bindings not being shown
>> by "C-h k" is not limited to "M-q" but a bunch of
>> others as well. However, there are also a number of other key
>> bindings that can be reported by "C-h k". I have no idea why
>> this is happening. Can somebody tell me with this?
>
> 1. This can happen because `M-q' is not in fact bound in the current context
> (e.g. current buffer).  Are you sure that you are using `C-h k M-q' in the
> same
> buffer where the command is effectively invoked whenever you hit `M-q'?

My "M-q" is a global binding, and most importantly, while "C-h k M-q" reports
undefined binding, typing "M-q" invoked my function. After all, it's not just
"M-q" that was reported undefined binding, a number of other bindings are not
being to be reported by "C-h k".

> 2. There could be an Emacs bug.  You are apparently using a development
> version,
> not a released version of Emacs.  If #1 above shows that `C-h k M-q' really
> should be showing a binding for your command, then consider reporting an Emacs
> bug, using `M-x report-emacs-bug'.  The Emacs developers will determine
> whether
> there really is a problem.

Since I have never been able to get email work in Emacs, I'm afraid I'll not be
able to report bugs inside Emacs using "M-x report-emacs-bug", is there any
other way of reporting Emacs bugs?

Thanks a lot,

York