Re: newbie needs to be bailed out

From: Jai Dayal
Subject: Re: newbie needs to be bailed out
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 18:54:31 -0500

1) in terminal type, emacs --version

2) in emacs, type "M-x" and then type global-font-lock-mode  M stands for "meta" and is generally the ALT key.

3) what the other guy said

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Kim Young <kimyoung@me.com> wrote:
Hello,

I am running Mac os x lion and I want to use emacs to try to write some shell scripts for work. I am new to emacs so I would like help with some very basic things.

1.      What is the command to determine the version of emacs that is provided with lion?

2.      How do I enable color highlighting for syntext?

3       How do I get a list of the command sequences that auto generate things like "for", "while" and "do" loops for   the various languages (C++, ruby, etc) I might use?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

John "Kim" Young
1663 71st  Street
Brooklyn, NY   11204