Re: newbie needs to be bailed out

From: Jai Dayal
Subject: Re: newbie needs to be bailed out
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 19:16:48 -0500

Hmm, good question.  All though, the OP did state he was using it to write shell scripts, others might not know.

I honestly don't know.

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wednesday 04 January 2012 18:54:31 Jai Dayal wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Kim Young <kimyoung@me.com> wrote:
> > I am running Mac os x lion and I want to use emacs to try to write some
> > shell scripts for work. I am new to emacs so I would like help with some
> > very basic things.
> >
> > 1.      What is the command to determine the version of emacs that is
> > provided with lion?
>
> 1) in terminal type, emacs --version

This maybe doesn't apply to the OP, but I've seen MacOSX users who don't even
know what a "terminal" is, let alone how to open one (being a Linux user
myself, I also had some trouble finding a way to open a terminal when I first
sat in front of a Mac machine on one occasion).

So, is there a way to find out the emacs version from within a running emacs
instance itself?

Best, :-)
Marko