Re: shell-command causes problems with absolute/relative paths in TAGS

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: shell-command causes problems with absolute/relative paths in TAGS
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 13:34:39 +0200

> From: "David Chappaz" <david.chappaz@free.fr>
> Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 16:05:13 -0000
>
> Now, I generate my TAGS file from a plain windows shell, with the following
> command:
>
> more filelist.txt | ctags -e -L -
>
> This works fine, and, as expected, the paths to the source files in the TAGS
> file are relative, so the entire "test" folder and the TAGS file can be
> moved to a different location.
>
> I'm developing a small emacs package to provide some sort of IDE. So now I'm
> trying to do the same from within emacs. If I do:
>
> M-x shell-command
> more filelist.txt | ctags -e -L -
>
> ...then the result is different, and now paths in the TAGS file become
> absolute. Even using the explicit option --tag-relative=yes does not change
> anything.

FWIW, I cannot reproduce this on MS-Windows with Emacs 23.3.  I don't
have Exuberant CTags, but using the etags program provided with
Emacs.  I get relative file names with either method.

Can you reproduce the problem in "emacs -Q"?  If not, there's some
customization of yours that causes this, or maybe it is a problem with
Exuberant on Windows.