Trying to use only tabs for indenting c# files - csharp-mode error?

From: PJ Weisberg
Subject: Trying to use only tabs for indenting c# files - csharp-mode error?
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 09:29:52 -0800

On Sunday, January 8, 2012, Guido Van Hoecke <guivho@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't help but feeling that this is in error!
>
> The tab-width is 8,
> indent-tabs-mode is t
> and still, it uses spaces to indent, and only two of them.

I know nothing about csharp-mode, but you have a misperception here.  If Emacs feels that the proper place for that line to start is column 2, and the tab width is 8, then spaces *must* be used, because no combination of tabs can get you to column 2.  I know some modes have knobs you can adjust to get different indentation styles, but I don't know what's available in csharp-mode.

Given what Oscar pointed out, I wouldn't be surprised if the indentation function contains some implicit assumption that will result in spaces always being used, anyway.

--

-PJ