defining odd keystrokes

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: defining odd keystrokes
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 19:18:47 +0800

I think I've finally figured out how to pass certain keystrokes to ibus
(the system-wide input method), but I need a little help in specifying
those keystrokes. Once ibus is toggled and I'm inputting Chinese, I can
switch between two different Chinese input methods using "Alt+Shift_L"
(that's how it's specified in ibus preferences), sort of a xmodmap-type
of specification. Just pressing Shift also toggles into and out of plain
English input while ibus is active.

So I ought to be using `ibus-define-common-key' to tell ibus-mode to
pass those keystrokes directly to the ibus engine:

(ibus-define-common-key "specify keystroke here" t)

The problem is that both those keystrokes consist solely of modifiers,
and I don't know how to (or if I can) produce a key event that consists
only of modifiers. Is this possibly, or do I have to change my
system-wide ibus keybindings?

Thanks,
Eric

--
GNU Emacs 24.0.92.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.8)
 of 2012-01-04 on pellet