Re: customizing dircolors doesn't take effect in emacs shell

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: customizing dircolors doesn't take effect in emacs shell
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 21:56:14 +0100

Am 9.1.2012 um 17:43 schrieb Yuan Luo:

> All aliases in ~/.bashrc are listed in emacs shells.
> I already had have ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on set.
> execution of ls traces to /bin/ls

Does it work when you use

        /bin/ls --color=auto /bin
        /bin/ls --color /bin

manually and directly?

My manual page explains:

        With --color=auto, ls emits color codes only when standard output is
connected to a terminal. The LS_COLORS environment variable can change the
settings. Use the dircolors command to set it.

There is a chance that LS_COLORS hinders ls, it's also possible that in *shell*
buffer standard output is not connected to a terminal. The latter seems to be
true for me on Mac OS X (10.6.8, Snow Leopard). So by omitting the "=auto"
should make your aliases work.

--
Greetings

  Pete