RE: Mouse support does not work

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Mouse support does not work
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 09:37:52 -0800

> The problem I'm encountering is that when I scroll by the smallest
> amount with the mouse, it scrolls by two lines.  I have the
> mouse-wheel-scroll-amount set to 1.

I'm no expert on this - perhaps someone else can help more.

But if the value of `mouse-wheel-scroll-amount' is 1 (or 2 etc.) then that is
wrong.  It needs to be an alist or a number representing the fraction of the
screen to scroll.

Use `M-x customize-option' to change the option - do not just `setq' it to an
integer value.  Read the variable's doc (`C-h v').

> If I set it to 2, it scrolls by
> 4, and so on.  vim does the same thing, so I suspect that what's
> happening is that a single scroll is being reported as two.

> But the
> only way to be sure would be to get something that echos all
> keystrokes, so I could see if a single scroll is really being reported
> as two mouse-5 events.  C-h k won't work for this, because it only
> would show the first such event (if my theory is correct).

Wrt keystroke echoing, you can use `echo-keystrokes', as I mentioned.
You also have `C-h l', to see the last 100 keystrokes.