Re: Mouse support does not work

From: Aaron Meurer
Subject: Re: Mouse support does not work
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 17:01:47 -0700

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>> Ah, I see what this is now.  Would that even echo mouse events?
>
> No.  It echos unfinished keyboard key sequences.

>> > Those look like keyboard keys to me, not mouse events.  If
>> > you use the mouse (e.g. click `mouse-1' somewhere, then
>> > click `mouse-3' somewhere, to select some text) you should
>> > see mouse events such as I show above.
>>
>> No, this is definitely how it is reporting mouse events. I typed "Some
>> Text" and clicked on the S, and this is what it showed for it:
>>
>> S o m e SPC T e x t ESC [ M SPC $ ( ESC [ M # $ ( C-h l
>
> Perhaps it is a platform difference.  I'm using MS Windows.  I've never seen
> what you see.
>
>> It makes sense that it would do that, because just saying
>> <down-mouse-1> does not tell you where in the text you clicked.
>
> And how does what it shows you tell you more about the mouse-click position
> than
> this, which is what I see on a graphic display:

Because it tells you *exactly* where the mouse was clicked, in some
coded internal language.  As I said, when I typed it, it reproduced
what I did with the mouse exactly.

> S o m e SPC T e x t <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-h l
>
> Or this, which is what I see with emacs -nw:
>
> S o m e SPC T e x t <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-1> C-h l
>
> What is shown is not the full mouse event, with all of its position info.  All
> that is shown is the name of the mouse event (including modifiers).
>
>> Also, if I type  ESC [ M SPC $ ( ESC [ M # $ ( with the cursor on the
>> t,
>
> How do you type that?  Is M the shifted `M' key or Meta (Alt)?  If I hit the
> `ESC' key and then the `[' key Emacs just tells me `M-[ is undefined'.

No, I think it's literally "M" (shifted M).  Meta is ESC. And Control
is written as C-letter (with a dash).

>> it does indeed go back to the S.  It even echos "down-mouse-1" at
>> the bottom.  As for scrolling, it seems that the command is different
>> depending on where my mouse is (I think), which makes sense because I
>> set the "Mouse Wheel Follow Mouse" setting from customize to on (I
>> couldn't figure out what the emacs variable name for that is called).
>
> Customize `custom-unlispify-tag-names' to nil (off), if you want to see the
> real
> (Lisp) names.
>
> (IMHO that should be the default value.  It is less, not more, helpful to
> simply
> capitalize each word and replace SPC with hyphen.  Misguided, IMO.)

I agree, though I see where they're coming from (people who use M-x
customize are supposed to be shielded from the lisp side).  Thanks for
the tip!

Aaron Meurer