Re: I can't use Alt+Shift

From: Daniel Sousa
Subject: Re: I can't use Alt+Shift
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:36:49 +0000

When I run C-h k and press that key combination, emacs simply ignores it and doesn't even say that it is undefined.

Using ESC it works but the key is really far... Anyway, this isn't a big problem, I think I can live without using it :P

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

Am 7.1.2012 um 23:29 schrieb Daniel Sousa:

> Can anyone help me?
>
> [...]
>
> PS: If it help, I'm running on Arch Linux.

Introduced with C-h k you can then type some key combination. GNU Emacs will then describe in echo-area ("mini-buffer") that this key combination is not bound to a function or open a *Help* buffer and display the documentation of the function which is bound to the typed key combination.

In X11 you have the utility xev which will explain which X events you have produced by pressing some keys. Maybe Alt+Shift+< does not produce anything...

When you run GNU Emacs in some terminal you do not send any X event to GNU Emacs, only ASCII codes (see "man ascii"). <ESC>-< and  <ESC>-<Shift>-<, pressed sequentially as <ESC> first and then either < or >, *will* produce the proper input for GNU Emacs, while pressing Alt+< or Alt+Shift+< *might* produce 8-bit control characters, but what the terminal emulation sends to the programme is not determined because a mapping, established via an X resource for example, might not exist.

I'm not using Arch Linux.

--
Greetings

 Pete

I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.
                               – Douglas Adams