Re: loading init files, just a simple old .emacs file for starters

From: rickhw
Subject: Re: loading init files, just a simple old .emacs file for starters
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 09:35:46 -0800 (PST)

I found the problem, near the top of my .emacs file I was loading a
emacs.nnn.el file (without the .el extention specified) and, on ~/ (c:\ in
this case) I had both the byte compiled .elc and the .el file, so emacs was
was too old and was compiled in a way not compatible with my new
environment. Deleting the .elc version, forcing emacs to instead load the
.el file fixed my problem.

Many thanks for the quick response and the excellent suggestions