Re: How do I bypass Tramp? [was:Re: Keybindings for Emacs with no X?]

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: How do I bypass Tramp? [was:Re: Keybindings for Emacs with no X?]
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 11:47:06 +0100

Tami <kd5rju@wb5aoh.dyndns.org> writes:

> How do I use just ange-ftp for these in-house transfers without disabling the
> ability to use tramp if I ever  need it?

As Drew already said, `tramp-default-method' shall preserve your
ange-ftp settings.

> Is tramp actually good for anything useful?  If not, how do I disable it
> permanently for myself when using his machines?
>
> If it is useful, can it be sped up?  I've had faster FTP transfers between MIT
> and Finland when the 2 countries were connected by one shared 56k line across
> an ocean!  The 2 computers I refer to are 4 feet apart!

Emacs 22 comes with Tramp 2.0, which is way slow. Upgrading to Emacs 23
shall speed up.

There are also lots of settings, which would ease your life (for example
avoiding to type your passwords again and again).

Tramp is useful to access machines which do not run an ftp daemon. It
offers a lot of different access methods, for example you can access
machines running MS Windows, or even Android based cellular phones. (*)

Tramp does more than file transfer. It allows you also to run remote
processes. (*)

(*): depends on the installed Tramp version.

> Thanks
>
> .Tami

Best regards, Michael.