RE: display-buffer-reuse-frames in a tiling WM

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: display-buffer-reuse-frames in a tiling WM
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 09:16:30 -0800

> behaviour of display-buffer-reuse-frames
> when using a tiling window manager (Xmonad in my case). The
> documentation says:
> "In addition, if the value of display-buffer-reuse-frames is
> non-nil, and the buffer you want to switch to is already
> displayed in some frame, Emacs will just raise that frame."
>
> As I understand it, this just calls XRaiseWindow on the frame in
> question.

It sounds like that corresponds to the doc, at least.  (Note: I'm ignorant about
XRaiseWindow - just going by the name.)

> On XMonad (and presumably other tiling WMs) this has no
> apparent effect when the frame is on a different workspace.
>
> This throws me into confusion for a few seconds wondering
> why the buffer hasn't opened. Is there any way to improve
> this behaviour? Even being able to optionally set an URGENT
> hint on the window would be very useful I think.

It might (dunno) be appropriate to file an enhancement request, via `M-x
report-emacs-bug'.  That will bring this to the attention of the Emacs
developers - and possibly get you an informative answer.