Re: Slow response in GNU Emacs 23.4

From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
Subject: Re: Slow response in GNU Emacs 23.4
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 21:22:42 -0200

oitofelix@gmail.com (Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro) writes:

> Hello.  I have successful used GNU Emacs 23.2 that comes with Debian
> Squeeze on my I32 machine.  Yesterday I decided to download the latest
> release from gnu.org, GNU Emacs 23.4.  Then I built it with Athena
> Toolkit and with -O3 gcc flag.  Now Emacs works wonderful except by one
> thing: its response time is very high.  It takes a half of second to
> notice that I press a key.  Does anyone know what could be a possible
> source of this problem?

I discovered the reason behind this problem.  In my home, I often use my
netbook (the machine running GNU Emacs 23.4) connected to a big external
display by VGA output.  Today, I used the LVDS screen and guess you what
happened?  The problem disappeared.  This seems consistent with the problem only
showing up under X frames of Emacs.  I'm now wondering why it's
happening only when I connect to the external screen.  The only thing I
could think is the stretch transformation rule that I have configured by
xrandr as follow:

xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1024x600 --auto --output VGA1 --mode 1024x768
--scale 1x0.78125 --auto

Any idea?  It could be a bug in Emacs?
--
Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix)

Ps: Please, let me know my english errors