Re: notifications-notify resets idle-time

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: notifications-notify resets idle-time
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 17:43:56 +0100

Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> writes:

>> I was too hasty: I've copied the *Messages* buffer before the
>> notification did expire. No error at all.
>
> That means, that ":timeout 1000" did not work for you...!?

It works for me, don't worry.

>> It is not NotificationClosed specific. I would rather say that is due to
>> the nature of D-Bus events, handled via `special-event-map'. I guess that
>> all events defined in that map will reset the idle timer.
>
> Yes. It would be good, if there was a method to filter these events.
> (perhaps there is already, but I don't see it...)

One idea would be to add a property `dont-reset-idle-time' to an
incoming event. Per default it is nil, and the timer is reset. But if
this property exists non-nil, the timer isn't reset.

Then we could extend `dbus-register-signal' in order to allow setting
this property, or not. "NotificationClosed" would be registered with
this property, and "ActionInvoked" without.

> I admit, that this use case is quite particular and I don't expect emacs
> developers to fix it. Nevertheless, I'm going to fill a bug report, just
> in case.

Please do. I wouldn't call it bug but wishlist, but it might be worth to
implement. Chances are good that I will do, but I would like to discuss
first with the other developers.

Please add also your use case to the bug report.

> In the meanwhile, I've patched my notification-daemon, so that it does
> no more send any event, when windows expire (ugly work-around, but I
> don't need to touch emacs).

Wouldn't it suffice just to deregister signal "NotificationClosed"? You
don't need this signal, if I understand your use cases.

Another idea would be to send a new notification message to the opened
notification window, before it expires. I haven't tried by myself, but I
remember vaguely that it shall be possible.

Best regards, Michael.