Bold fonts shift text vertically

From: Leo Alekseyev
Subject: Bold fonts shift text vertically
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:27:23 -0500

I recently  noticed an annoying behavior, which on my machine (64-bit
Ubuntu) I can reproduce with both Emacs 23.2 and 24.0.93, with default
configs (emacs -Q). If any part of the line starts being displayed in
bold font (e.g. from flyspell, or setting *emphasis* in org-mode), the
text on the screen below that line shifts down vertically by a pixel
or two. This happens only on one machine, connected to a 1920x1280
monitor.  A similarly configured laptop displays everything fine.  Can
someone suggest what might be causing bold fonts to break proper line
spacing?

--Leo