Re: dbus problem: "notifications-notify :on-action" stops working

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: dbus problem: "notifications-notify :on-action" stops working
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 21:49:38 +0100

Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> writes:

Hi,

I've played a while with the recipe you gave the other mail. No problem.

Note, that I'm running Ubuntu 11.10.

> Now I have 2 emacs sessions: one, where it's working as expected, and
> another with the problem:
>
> Here the output, where it's working:
>
> xd_retrieve_arg: u 2
> xd_retrieve_arg: s key
> xd_read_message_1: Event received: DBUS_MESSAGE_TYPE_SIGNAL 20 :1.278
> /org/freedesktop/Notifications org.freedesktop.Notifications ActionInvoked (2
> key)
> xd_read_message_1: Event stored: (:session 4 20 :1.278
> /org/freedesktop/Notifications org.freedesktop.Notifications ActionInvoked
> notifications-on-action-signal 2 key)
> xd_retrieve_arg: u 2 [2 times]
> xd_read_message_1: Event received: DBUS_MESSAGE_TYPE_SIGNAL 21 :1.278
> /org/freedesktop/Notifications org.freedesktop.Notifications
> NotificationClosed (2 2)
> xd_read_message_1: Event stored: (:session 4 21 :1.278
> /org/freedesktop/Notifications org.freedesktop.Notifications
> NotificationClosed notifications-on-closed-signal 2 2)
>
> Here the output with the problem:
>
> xd_retrieve_arg: u 4
> xd_retrieve_arg: s hour
> xd_read_message_1: Event received: DBUS_MESSAGE_TYPE_SIGNAL 38 :1.278
> /org/freedesktop/Notifications org.freedesktop.Notifications ActionInvoked (4
> hour)
> xd_retrieve_arg: u 4
> xd_retrieve_arg: u 2
> xd_read_message_1: Event received: DBUS_MESSAGE_TYPE_SIGNAL 39 :1.278
> /org/freedesktop/Notifications org.freedesktop.Notifications
> NotificationClosed (4 2)

The difference is, that in the second case there is no "Event stored"
trace. That means, that the Emacs session does not feel responsible for
the incoming D-Bus event. No idea, why.

I've played also with two Emacs sessions in parallel, and there was no
problem. When I have typed C-a in both Emacs session, and I have pressed
the notification window, the "Success" message was visible in the Emacs
buffer where I have pressed the last C-a. That's acceptable.

Maybe you could replay your scenario, and let dbus-monitor run in
parallel. Please comment exactly what you have done (starting Emacs,
every keystroke), and mark the corresponding traces from
dbus-monitor. By this, we might be able to understand what happens.

Best regards, Michael.