Re: Want to grep for text in selected coding...

From: Oleksandr Gavenko
Subject: Re: Want to grep for text in selected coding...
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 23:18:25 +0200

On 2012-02-28, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com>
>> Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 21:47:10 +0200
>>
>> > I suggest to use "M-x occur" and its derivatives instead.
>>
>> Personally I found bad about Emacs that it depends on tools which come from
>> '70 (like find, grep, ls) and work perfectly only with LANG=C.
>
> ??? But I just suggested (above) that you use "M-x occur", which does
> NOT depend on any external tool, and DOES handle every possible
> encoding and locale on Earth.

==>Show all lines in the **current buffer** containing a match for REGEXP.

I highlight limitation of occur. Sorry for bad explaining of problem in

"M-s o" is my most frequent key sequence after "C-s" and "C-x o" ))

But when I need search in a set of files... occur fail.

>> Emacs must take example from Far manager which have option to perform search
>> in all codings suitable  for Russian lang (cp866, cp1251, koi8-r, UTF-8).
>
> ??? But "occur" can already do that.

Yes for single file and NO for multiply files...

What I forget mention that Far file manager make search in all possible
encodings
in single user request!

For English people this feature may look quite silly but I am sad when see how
my colleges just perform work in Far while I read about coding system, read
Emacs manual and look for answer over Internet for basic feature like
searching...

Currently I think that I need enhanced version of "find/grep" and bind in to
Emacs (which perform search in >>file hierarchy<< in selected set of >>coding
system<<
at once).

Anyone have suggestions?

I would like to see recursive search in selected coding system as Emacs core
feature without any external dependency... Has it sense to request this feature
at bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org?

--
Best regards!