RE: M-x emacs

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: M-x emacs
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 08:46:58 -0800

> I downloaded emacs color theme and i extracted it in my User folder
> I'm a biginner and i don"t realy know how to process...
> I only extract the emacs color theme folder in my user
> folder. I don't know
> if i should do something else in order to install it.
> In some tutorial i also see an .'emacs' folder; i know that's a hidden
> folder but i don't know where is it and how to display it.
>
> When i'm on the emacs's terminal and when i type : apt-get install
> emacs-goodies-el : it doesn't found the file.

See the Emacs manual (`C-h r', or `C-h i' and choose `Emacs').
In the manual, use `i load-path RET' to go to node `Lisp Libraries' and read
about variable `load-path'.

To load a library (e.g. `color-theme.el'):

1. Put the file in a directory that is in your `load-path'. You can use `M-x
customize-option load-path' to set that variable to search the folder(s) where
you keep Lisp libraries.

2. Add (require 'THE-LIBRARY) to your init file (~/.emacs).  For example,
(require 'color-theme).

Unsolicited advice:

But you really must spend a little time with the Emacs manual first, especially
if you are going to start loading 3rd-party libraries such as color-theme.el.

Otherwise, you will be asking questions here for every single thing you run into
when trying to set up and use such libraries.

People here are willing to help, but you must help yourself also.  The Emacs
manual is helpful and extensive.  It is written with you in mind.  But learning
requires a bit of work, and it comes progressively.

An alternative is to NOT start out so soon trying to install 3rd-party
libraries.  Learn a bit more about Emacs first.  It will come, little by little.

Trying to download a giant sack of Emacs goodies and load it all up at once is
asking for trouble, especially if you know next to nothing about Emacs and

IOW, walk first, then run.  We can't really run for you.