Re: M-x emacs

From: Jonathan Groll
Subject: Re: M-x emacs
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 08:28:55 +0200

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 08:26:32 -0800 (PST), GinjiBan <muginji@hotmail.fr> wrote:

> Thx guys for you answers.
> I downloaded emacs color theme and i extracted it in my User folder
> I'm a biginner and i don"t realy know how to process...
> I only extract the emacs color theme folder in my user folder. I don't know
> if i should do something else in order to install it.
> In some tutorial i also see an .'emacs' folder; i know that's a hidden
> folder but i don't know where is it and how to display it.
>
> When i'm on the emacs's terminal and when i type : apt-get install
> emacs-goodies-el : it doesn't found the file.

(1) I *think* emacs-goodies-el is a Debian/Ubuntu package - and you're
running Fedora 14.

(2) ~/.emacs should be a file (not a folder) that is in your home
directory. The dot in front means that it is normally invisible. You
can 'find' the file to open and edit in Emacs using C-x C-f (find
file).

(3) Finally, I have installed a colour theme (solarized) by inserting
the following lines in my .emacs file:

;;----------------------------------------------------------------------------
;; Colour theming
;;----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/lisp/emacs-color-theme-solarized")
(require 'color-theme-solarized)

(require 'color-theme)
(eval-after-load "color-theme"
  '(progn
     (color-theme-initialize)
     (color-theme-solarized-light)))

I'm guessing that I must have followed the instructions at:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/ColorTheme

Now obviously all of this works because I have a file called
color-theme-solarized.el in my ~/lisp/emacs-color-theme-solarized
folder, and note that even though I placed the file (and others for
the theme) there I still need to have 'require' in the script to make
Emacs use color-theme.

I don't know if I had to install color-theme itself (don't recall) - I
suspect it came with my Emacs or with emacs-goodies (I run
Debian/Ubuntu). That is why you were asked what version of Emacs you
were running earlier. So, I *think* I only had to install the
individual theme that I use (solarized) but not color-theme itself.

J'espère que vous aidez,
Jonathan
--
jjg: Jonathan J. Groll : groll co za