RE: Resyncing in ediff

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Resyncing in ediff
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 14:34:58 -0800

> Sometimes ediff regions get off by one. (It seems to get
> confused around lines that consist only of whitespace,
> something that happens easily in emacs.)
>
> Is there a "nice" way to get ediff to resync?
>
> I can imagine writing the code to (1) gather relevant vars
> and their values, (2) quit ediff, (3) narrow the buffers from
> point to EOB, (4) run ediff-buffers on the same buffers and
> (5) restore all the vars. However, I'm guessing that with the
> complexity of ediff will make that slightly harder than my
> uneducated imagination is guessing right now.

Perhaps someone has a real answer for you.  I do not.
Here is what I do, FWIW:

1. Make sure both buffers have the same encoding - e.g. `undecided-unix'.  For
some reason, that can make a difference.  If they are different, then sometimes
Ediff works at first but does not work after hitting `!' etc.

2. Narrow the buffers to a region and ediff that.  IOW, ediff the problematic
areas piecemeal.

With luck someone else will enlighten both of us.

(Caveat: I sometimes use ediff with older Emacs versions (back to 20).  It is
possible that behavior is different for different versions.)