allout and font-locking

From: Marc Croteau
Subject: allout and font-locking
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 12:27:54 -0500

Hello folks.
I'm having problems getting the font-locking features to work. I hope
someone can help me.
I have allout (version 2.3) working just fine but the color highlighting is NOT
working.

I'm running emacs 23.3 on a ubuntu box running 11.10.
I've tried the suggestions made in (1) the emacswiki with respect to
(defvar rf-allout-font-lock-keywords...
and (2) suggestions in this mailing list by Stephen Berman and also
Tassilo Horn and don't seem to get the color highlighting I'm
expecting.

I created a simple file (allout-test.txt), based on the emacswiki
============
* test
.. test
   test
. , test
    test
.  . test
.   , test
.    . test
       test
.     , test
.      . test
.       , test

* file local variables list
Local variables:
allout-layout: (+ :)
mode: allout
End:
================
and, while the outline/allout keys work as expected, I don't have any
colors.

I have the following in my init.el file
(require 'allout)
(require 'allout-widgets)
(allout-init t)

Toggling (global-font-lock) does not change anything.

Note that fontification is happening in other files I edit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Marc