Re: default point ?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: default point ?
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 11:13:03 +0100

Am 8.3.2012 um 03:19 schrieb Muhali:

> Switch to buffer A; point is at position X. Then move point to some position
> Y, do some editing if you want, then switch to buffer B and back to buffer
> A. Point is back at X.

Does this also happen when you're using an Emacs without all customisation
applied, i.e., when launched with -Q?

If this happens in that setup as well then some bug is likely and you should
report it. Help menu -> Send Bug Report... And a good description how to
reproduce it.

If this does not happen without customisation, then it's likely that some of
your (and your system's) customisation is the culprit.

I can't remember having encountered this effect. But this can be de to bad
habits: when I switch between windows I often use the mouse instead of C-x o...
Then the point is automatically moved away. Maybe I expect every time the same
behaviour. I'll try to keep my eyes open (though when trying to develop
software in many windows and more than one frame the attention is not on these
subtleties).

You could also check your init file. Is there something you don't understand,
looks suspicious or obsolete? Commenting it and saving the file you could
launch a new instance and see how work goes. When desktop.el and/or session.el
are used you don't lose much and can easily correct when having commented the
wrong Elisp code.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Email is a wonderful thing for people whose role in life is to be on top of
things. But not for me; my role is to be on the bottom of things. What I do
takes long hours of studying and uninterruptible concentration.
                                – Donald Knuth