Re: Why is shell env different in emacs shell mode than normal shell

From: Christopher Schmidt
Subject: Re: Why is shell env different in emacs shell mode than normal shell
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 18:45:00 +0100

AngusC <anguscomber@gmail.com> writes:

> I am running emacs 23.3.1 on Windows 7.  Using the standard command
> line I have tab auto-completion but this doesn't work if in emacs I
> use M-x shell.  Is this normal?  do I need to configure something in
> the emacs config file?

To take advantage of Emacs's text processing power, M-x shell RET has to
make some trade-offs.  This includes no real support of ncurses or no
support for native (bash) completion.

To get a real interactive terminal, try M-x term RET.  Other than that,
you could try to write your own completion function in Elisp.  Check
`shell-dynamic-complete-functions'.

        Christopher