First character beeps screen sometimes

From: Aaron Meurer
Subject: First character beeps screen sometimes
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 14:14:02 -0700

Hi.

I could use some help debugging an annoying problem.  Sometimes when I
start emacs, the first character I type is not inserted, but rather,
causes the screen to flash.  I can't remember if this is a regular
terminal beep or something that emacs is doing (I'll reply back when I
can reproduce it again and notice it).  After that, I can type
normally. It's hard to reproduce consistently, but I've noticed that
it happens almost every time I edit a commit message after making a
commit in a git repository (but not every time).  I've also noticed it
in other places.  I think it might only happen when editing new files,
but I'm not sure.

What are some good ways to debug this?  Has anyone seen this before,
and maybe can suggest what might be causing it.  My .emacs and
.emacs.d are at https://github.com/asmeurer/dotfiles if anyone's
interested.

Final note: I use emacsclient with emacs daemon, if that might make a
difference.  As far as version goes, I am using a very recent build
from the development repo of emacs.

Aaron Meurer