RE: Help: using spaces when I save a new file (C-w)

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Help: using spaces when I save a new file (C-w)
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 12:16:09 -0700

> Yes: upgrade to a newer Emacs version.  This was fixed in Emacs 22.1,
> which was released in June 2007.
>
> If you are already using a newer version, you must have something in
> your .emacs that disables this feature.

And if you have an older Emacs version and do not upgrade you can bind SPC in
keymaps `minibuffer-local-completion-map' and `minibuffer-local-must-match-map'
to command `self-insert-command'.  (The problem is that SPC is bound by default
to `minibuffer-complete-word' in those keymaps.)

(As Peter mentioned, if you do not want to fix this generally you can just use
`C-q SPC' whenever you need to insert a space char.)