Newbie - Can't compile and run C program

From: taariqq
Subject: Newbie - Can't compile and run C program
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 11:16:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

Was looking for some help and google sent me to you guys. Hope I am not
intruding.
I've just downloaded emacs 23.4 for my winxp machine. To go into C mode by
typing M-x c-mode. I type the typical hello world program. I type M-x
compile to compile the program ... and this is where I am stuck. It is not
generating a.out. Either it gives me an error if I use make -k, or if I
compile w/o make command, it pops the program open in another window.

I have used emacs in the the past to compile and run C programs
successfully, but I am forgetting something or else.

Greatly appreciate it.