Re: getting gnu emacs to run in gui mode

From: suvayu ali
Subject: Re: getting gnu emacs to run in gui mode
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 20:40:06 +0100

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 13:45, Kevin Patrick Barry <barryk2@tcd.ie> wrote:
> I have installed gnu emacs 23.4 on my linux system (Lubuntu), and I can run
> it just fine from my terminal, but I can't get it to load in gui mode.
> Emacs has appeared in my desktop menus but clicking it does nothing (no
> error messages, nothing at all, even though the command is fine if I do it
> manually in the terminal).  Clicking 'run' and typing Emacs also gets
> nothing.  I scoured the manual for an option to force gui mode but there
> doesn't appear to be one, just an opposite for forcing terminal mode (-nw).

You don't say the exact emacs package names you installed (I'm
assuming you did not compile it yourself as you didn't say so), but I
have a hunch you only have the emacs-nox package installed. Try
installing the full feature emacs pacakge (its probably named simply
emacs or emacs23)[1].

So something like this should work:

$ sudo apt-get install emacs23

[1] <http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/emacs>