Re: Executing init script after launching eshell

From: Tom Willemsen
Subject: Re: Executing init script after launching eshell
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 13:21:47 +0200

Hey Kashyap,

On Tue 27 Mar 2012 12:26:37 PM CEST, C K Kashyap wrote:

 > Thanks Tom
 >
 > Maybe the following could work, it seems to do what you want when I try
 > > it here.
 > >
 > > (progn
 > >  (let ((default-directory "path1"))
 > >    (eshell t)
 > >    (rename-buffer "b1"))
 > >  (let ((default-directory "path2"))
 > >    (eshell t)
 > >    (rename-buffer "b2")))
 > >

 > This is a working solution for me.

Excellent!

 > > (progn
 > >  (eshell t)
 > >  (eshell/cd "path1")
 > >  (eshell-send-input)
 > >  (eshell t)
 > >  (eshell/cd "path2")
 > >  (eshell-send-input))
 > >

 > The above snippet does not seem to work for me. Could you please explain
 > the below lines ?
 >
 >  (eshell t) -> This opens up a new eshell
 >  (eshell/cd "path1") - ?????
 >  (eshell-send-input) - I am guessing the command in the previous step gets
 > passed on using this command.

The `eshell/cd' function is what is executed when you type 'cd' into
eshell, unless you have changed this. It doesn't change what you see in
eshell though, so the `eshell-send-input' should send an empty command,
which resets the eshell prompt and should show you that it's actually in
the right directory. Perhaps I got it wrong here, I use `eshell-reset'
in one of my keybindings, but I though send-input was perhaps clearer to
use here, sorry.

It also doesn't rename the buffers, so it was wrong anyway, I only know
that just sending a `\n' character to an eshell buffer doesn't execute
the command, but `eshell-send-input' does, or should. At least that's
what I noticed when messing around with sending commands
programmatically.

 > > Hope it helps in some small way.
 > >

 > Absolutely helps!!!

Awesome!