Re: Keyboard-translate

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Keyboard-translate
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:16:43 -0000

Valentin Plechinger <v.plechinger@gmail.com> writes:

> I switched keyboard layout recently, so I heavily used keyboard-translate to
> make my setup usable.
> Problem is I, have no clue how to get "C-," to translate.

C-, is not a character.  AFAIK, keyboard-translate takes only characters.

You can only bind C-, on window systems, and on a terminal avoid using
it, since it won't be transmitted as ASCII codes.

You can check what is transmitted by a terminal in a shell by prefixing
your keychord by C-v:

In emacs you can see what is received with C-h c, C-h k, or insert it
into the buffer with C-q.  In the later case, if you get an errror:
quoted-insert: Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p, 67108908
it proves that C-, is not a character.

    (characterp (aref (kbd "C-,") 0)) --> nil