FTP access to a Linux box through Windows Emacs

From: Pingouin
Subject: FTP access to a Linux box through Windows Emacs
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:16:46 -0000

Hello,

I have successfully accessed a Linux box (RedHat) from Windows Emacs,
currently 23.1, without problems.

Last week the OS disk of the Linux box crashed.  IT replaced it and
installed a newer version of RedHat, 5 I think.

Now, when I try to access the machine from Emacs on my PC I get the
following errors:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (ftp-error #("FTP Error: OPEN request
failed: ftp: connect: No error" 32 54 (fontified nil front-sticky
(field inhibit-line-move-field-capture) rear-nonsticky t field output
inhibit-line-move-field-capture t)))
  signal(ftp-error (#("FTP Error: OPEN request failed: ftp: connect:
No error" 32 54 (fontified nil front-sticky ... rear-nonsticky t field
output inhibit-line-move-field-capture t))))
  byte-code(" @A\" " [err signal] 3)
  ange-ftp-hook-function(file-directory-p "/jeg002@actul01:/home/
jeg002")
  apply(ange-ftp-hook-function file-directory-p "/jeg002@actul01:/home/
jeg002")
  tramp-ftp-file-name-handler(file-directory-p "/jeg002@actul01:/home/
jeg002")
  apply(tramp-ftp-file-name-handler file-directory-p "/jeg002@actul01:/
home/jeg002")
  tramp-file-name-handler(file-directory-p "/jeg002@actul01:/home/
jeg002")
  file-directory-p("/jeg002@actul01:/home/jeg002")
  dired-noselect("/jeg002@actul01:/home/jeg002" nil)
  dired("/jeg002@actul01:/home/jeg002" nil)
  call-interactively(dired nil nil)

I have no problem accessing the machine from othe FTP programs, WinSCP
for example.

Thanks for any insights,

GĂ©rald