Re: Unsafe directory error at startup.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Unsafe directory error at startup.
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:16:38 -0000

> &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
> Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading `c:/Program
> Files/Emacs/.emacs':

> error: The directory `~/.emacs.d/server' is unsafe
> &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

> this directory is created by Emacs itself, why is it "unsafe"?

"unsafe" here means "not readable by other users".  There can be several
reasons why Emacs thinks it's unsafe:
- Emacs does not understand Windows's file permissions very well (it
  is designed with simple Unix permissions in mind instead), so it may
  simply be wrong and the directory is perfectly safe.
- Somehow Emacs failed to create the directory in a way that makes it
  safe (again because it is designed with a Unix permission mindset).
We've had such problems in the past.  I don't think there are known
cases of such problems in Emacs-23.3, so you may want to M-x report-emacs-bug
so some Windows coder can investigate the problem and maybe come up with
a fix.

The most likely culprit (looking at the code) would be if your
Administrator does not have RID=500 and/or the Administrators groups
does not have RID=544.

> After the error Emacs doesn't go through the rest of my initialization
> file and, of course, I don't get everything I want!

You can wrap the part of your initialization that starts the Emacs
server with

   (condition-case err
       <the-init-code>
     (error (message "error: %s" err))