Re: Keyboard Translate

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Keyboard Translate
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:17:43 -0000

> I have some trouble with keyboard-translate
[...]
> The Problem is that this doesn't get evaluated when the emacs daemon starts,
> so I have to eval it by hand.

You mean that it doesn't have any effect (it does get evaluated).
The problem is that keyboard-translate uses keyboard-translate-table
which is a terminal-local variable, i.e. each "terminal" (i.e. each GUI
display, each tty, ...) will have a different copy of this variable.

The Emacs server starts with a dummy terminal, so your .emacs will
modify the keyboard-translate-table of that dummy terminal, which won't
affect any of the other terminals, such as the ones used on the display
where you'll end up opening frames via emacsclient.

You'll probably want to submit a feature request via M-x
report-emacs-bug.  In the mean time, note that there are many (slightly
different) ways to perform keyboard translations, so maybe you want to
use key-translation-map which is not terminal-local and hence doesn't
suffer from this problem.

        Stefan