Re: Scrollbar in openSuse 11.4 on wrong side (i.e. on the right)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Scrollbar in openSuse 11.4 on wrong side (i.e. on the right)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:21:41 -0000

Klaus Zeitler <news@klauszeitler.de> writes:

> Hello,
> when I start emacs on openSuse 11.4, emacs comes up with the scrollbar
> on the right side.
> And yes I know that I could fix that with:
> (set-scroll-bar-mode 'left)
> in my init script, but I prefer to change it via a resource file, if
> only I could figure out where that is.
>
> My first attempt was to add the following line to my .gtkrc-2.0 file:
>  gtk-scrolled-window-placement = top-right
> This works for example for the wannabe editor gedit, but not for emacs.
> Then I added the line above to ~/.emacs.d/gtkrc, but that didn't help either.
>
> So why does emacs ignore my gtkrc resource setting for the scroll-bar?
> I've made other changes in my ~/.emacs.d/gtkrc and these (e.g. style
> changes) get executed, but not my scrollbar placement.
>
> The best thing of course would be to change that weird Suse setting,
> but so far I haven't been able to figure out where they define
> the scrollbar placement (globally or specifically for emacs).
>
> My emacs version:
> GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.22.1)

It is Emacs itself that is at fault.

  DEFVAR_LISP ("default-frame-scroll-bars", Vdefault_frame_scroll_bars,
               doc: /* Default position of scroll bars on this window-system.
*/);
#ifdef HAVE_WINDOW_SYSTEM
#if defined(HAVE_NTGUI) || defined(NS_IMPL_COCOA) || (defined(USE_GTK) &&
defined(USE_TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS))
  /* MS-Windows, Mac OS X, and GTK have scroll bars on the right by
     default.  */
  Vdefault_frame_scroll_bars = Qright;
#else
  Vdefault_frame_scroll_bars = Qleft;
#endif
#else
  Vdefault_frame_scroll_bars = Qnil;
#endif

I'd suggest configuring with --without-toolkit-scroll-bars since then
you not just get scrollbars on the left, but actually useful
three-button scrollbars with Athena semantics instead of the
dysfunctional GTK+ crap.

--
David Kastrup