Scrollbar in openSuse 11.4 on wrong side (i.e. on the right)

From: Klaus Zeitler
Subject: Scrollbar in openSuse 11.4 on wrong side (i.e. on the right)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:21:41 -0000

Hello,
when I start emacs on openSuse 11.4, emacs comes up with the scrollbar
on the right side.
And yes I know that I could fix that with:
(set-scroll-bar-mode 'left)
in my init script, but I prefer to change it via a resource file, if
only I could figure out where that is.

My first attempt was to add the following line to my .gtkrc-2.0 file:
 gtk-scrolled-window-placement = top-right
This works for example for the wannabe editor gedit, but not for emacs.
Then I added the line above to ~/.emacs.d/gtkrc, but that didn't help either.

So why does emacs ignore my gtkrc resource setting for the scroll-bar?
I've made other changes in my ~/.emacs.d/gtkrc and these (e.g. style
changes) get executed, but not my scrollbar placement.

The best thing of course would be to change that weird Suse setting,
but so far I haven't been able to figure out where they define
the scrollbar placement (globally or specifically for emacs).

My emacs version:
GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.22.1)

Thanks

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler | news@klauszeitler.de  |
---
The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to
choose from.   -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum, *Computer Networks*