Re: Saving State

From: Jorgen Grahn
Subject: Re: Saving State
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:22:48 -0000

[top-postings fixed]

On Thu, 2011-09-08, Tami wrote:

> On 2011 September 7 Jai Dayal wrote:

>> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I do customer support and I shift from one problem to another problem and
>> > then back to the first problem.

>> I think this could be accomplished rather easily with screen (in the
>> terminal type "which screen" to see if it's installed).
>>
>> It will change a few key strokes, but nothing major.
>>
>> Good thing is about screen, is when you're disconnected, you can ssh back in
>> and re-attach to the screen and everything is there.

> I also  recommend screen.  We do some home-automation things via computer, so
> when things go wrong its handy to just switch to the relevant screen which is
> right in the state I need to quickly fix the problem.

And I recommend it too. It's well worth learning if you're doing
*anything* Unix-related where you jump between tasks and hosts.

I keep one (named) screen session per task I'm doing at work; typically
two or three active and half a dozen more on the backburner.

You'll have to run Emacs in terminal mode though if you want to
combine them. If you're (like me) very attached to X11 Emacs, you may
not like that. Myself, I don't keep much state in Emacs itself --
Emacs does text editing and screen holds the various shells where most
of my valuable state is.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@  Oo  o.   .     .