Re: ""like other editors" ["

From: stan
Subject: Re: ""like other editors" ["
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:25:00 -0000

Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Stan wrote:
>
>>> By now one would think that even a casual observer would know that the
>>> developers have no interest in this change.
>
> Hey, be fair!  The developers (of whom I am one) are very interested in
> this change, and others like it.  Proposed changes in defaults typically
> arouse vigorous discussion on the developers' mailing list, and this one was
> no exception.

OK, there seem to be almost two discussions ongoing. One is about the
topic at hand - the changes related to the poll. Of those changes I
agree that the developers are interested.

The other topic is more about the cloning the MS windows gui standard
keystrokes into emacs. Are you and the other developers interested in
moving to the windows cut and paste model and keystrokes? Rhetorical.

I did not mean to imply the developers lacked concern or weren't
listening. I would guess that the never ending repetitive arguments
might result in a response similar to the age old reply from the
husband "yes, dear. Do we have any mustard?"

>>> The possibilities seem to be for the "modern editor" proponents to take up
>>> the task or at least find "modern arguments" that
>>> haven't been beaten to death.
>
> There aren't any.  Nor or there any more from the "good editor" camp.

Good, I thought maybe I had passed out and someone slipped in a new
argument.

>> There are many accusations thrown at rms across the years.
>> First time (I am seeing) such a one (especially  ironic coming from the
>> emacs community
>
> "Many" is an understatement.  However, RMS has this habit of being right
> about things.

That would match my experience.