Re: Upgrading suggestions

From: Jason Earl
Subject: Re: Upgrading suggestions
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:25:39 -0000

On Sun, Oct 23 2011, David Combs wrote:

> In article <87fwj8tadw.fsf@notengoamigos.org>,
> Jason Earl  <jearl@notengoamigos.org> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>I think that the best way to deal with this is to run a version of Emacs
>>straight out of bzr.  Not only does this get you the newest toys before
>>everyone else, but it also allows you access to the new configuration
>>changes and such piecemeal instead of having to make a big jump from one
>>version to the next.
>>
>>If something does break your configuration, you can even complain on
>>emacs-devel while the issue is still fresh on the developers mind.
>>
>>Jason
>
> What is "bzr"?   (A misspelled ".bz"?)
>
> And where is this early version located?
>
> Thanks!
>
> David

bzr is the version control system that the Emacs project uses.

http://bazaar.canonical.com/en/

To get a copy of the Emacs trunk in a folder named "emacs-devel" you
would do (after installing bzr):

bzr branch bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk emacs-devel

For more information there is a wiki page here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs

Basically I am encouraging you to use the development version of Emacs.
It is much snazzier than the released version, and if the Emacs
developers break your configuration you are in a good position to tell
them about it.

Jason