LaTeX \newenvironment math recognition

From: Fab Wermelinger
Subject: LaTeX \newenvironment math recognition
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:27:18 -0000

Dear all,

I have a LaTeX-mode/Emacs related problem. When I define a new
environment in LaTeX with the \newenvironment{myenv}{begenv}{endenv}
command, how can I get Emacs to perform the correct syntax
highlighting.  That is, myenv is a math based environment. So when I
include, e.g. "$" at the end of begenv and at the beginning of endenv,
how can I get Emacs to highlight math syntax in my document whenever I
use my custom environment \begin{myenv} ... \end{myenv}? This works
somehow with the amsmath environments such as \begin{align} ...
\end{align}.

thanks
Fab