Re: cua mode when?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: cua mode when?
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:29:34 -0000

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 12:11:40 -0500 Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> wrote:

DE> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>> We're talking about dedicated Cut/Copy/Paste/Undo.  Not extra remappable
>> keys and special keys/buttons in general.  I have been using the
>> Logitech G15 for 5 years so I'm aware of gaming keyboards, but that's
>> not the topic.

DE> Wow.

DE> I think Xah is close enough to the topic.
DE> We´re talking dedicated keys.  Sun also had an ¨OPEN¨ key.
DE> I used it to iconify/de-iconify.  Imagine one key to get a window
DE> out of the way, regardless of the program.

You and Xah are changing the topic substantially, from "why aren't there
cut/copy/paste/undo keys on keyboards" which you asked, to discussing
dedicated keys that the user remaps to whatever they want.  From a
usability standpoint those are completely different things even though
they seem similar.  Hence my comment.

DE> Keyboard vendors should be looking at common function and coming
DE> up with keys to invoke those common functions.

They are, clearly (e.g. volume control).

Ted