RE: Killing/hiding functions

From: Doug Lewan
Subject: RE: Killing/hiding functions
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 13:23:18 +0000

The most common way of disabling a function is to, well, disable it:

    (put 'ff-find-other-file 'disabled t)

This is unpleasant in the following way.
The function still exists and if you try to execute it you will get an error
window.
(If you really never try to execute it, then that's not really unpleasant.)

To remove a function you can do this:

    (unintern 'ff-find-other-file)

This is dangerous.
1. The function no longer exists, so anything that uses it will probably not
work any more.
2. Any variable of the same name no longer exists either.

,Douglas