Re: How to avoid questions asked in the echo area to be overridden by me

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: How to avoid questions asked in the echo area to be overridden by messages?
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 22:06:01 +0200

Am 2.4.2012 um 16:00 schrieb Stefan Monnier:

> If you can provide a reproducible test case, then please M-x report-emacs-bug
> (and if the problem is new in Emacs-24, then please do so ASAP so we can
> fix it before 24.1 comes out).

I have a quite easy test case: have a directory in dired-mode and have
dired-mode automatically update this directory – (add-hook 'dired-mode-hook
'auto-revert-mode) I think. Maybe bury the buffer. Invoke for example M-x
compile RET and be aware that you want to edit the compile command or use an
already used value from the history (so you're waiting, contemplating, pressing
again and again with little breaks a cursor key or trying to formulate an
expression to search for in history). Now use a second shell or a second GNU
Emacs. In that Emacs another compilation might be running in that buried buffer
directory, maybe some configure script that produces all the while new files
which dired-mode can detect from time to time. Or, in that shell, cd to that
directory and do 'touch shitty\ file'. In first Emacs the (compile) command
will be overwritten.

Similarly when you are composing a string-replace or replace-regexp or
grep-find or ... command and in some dired buffer the number of files or
directories changes, then your work is overwritten.

--
Greetings

  Pete

"Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak."