Re: Strange behaviour with custom set HOME env variable

From: Matus Kmit
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour with custom set HOME env variable
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 08:17:52 +0200

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 2.4.2012 um 10:09 schrieb Matus Kmit:
>
>> What do you exactly mean with user-init-file as there are several
>> possibilities
>> (http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Init-File.html)?
>
> There is only one variable name, I presume. It points to user-init-file.

Ok, I got it.

>> Among them, as already explained in my previous email, I am currently
>> using:
>> 1. "site-start.el" which sets my custom HOME environmental variable
>> (path to my Dropbox folder)
>
> This is a Bad Thing®. Site-start.el is meant to adapt GNU Emacs to the system
> it runs on. It's not really an user choice.

Which would be a better solution? I need to set that variable before
emacs loads my init file, so that it knows that it is located in
Dropbox.

>> 2. ".emacs" which is then found and loaded from the path of the
>> previously set HOME variable
>
> It is found when user-init-file is not naming a different file.

The value of "user-init-file" is correct:
"/home/nimaai/Dropbox/emacs/emacs-home-dir/.emacs"

(find-file user-init-file) opens a new .emacs file under a different
location. "M-x dired" in its buffer shows:

"Dired (directory):
~/Dropbox/emacs/emacs-home-dir/Dropbox/emacs/emacs-home-dir/" which is
wrong. Emacs somehow concatenates the path two times...