Re: why alias man to woman doesn't work?

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: why alias man to woman doesn't work?
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 16:38:45 +0200

Stefan,

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> (defalias 'man 'woman)
>>> (eval-after-load 'woman '(defalias 'man 'woman))
>>
>> Do I understand correctly that the above code will load `woman' when being
>> parsed, while:
>
> No.
>
>>      (eval-after-load "woman" '(defalias 'man 'woman))
>
>> would wait until woman was invoked by some other command?
>
> If you remove the first line, then M-x man will not load woman.

My question was about

    (eval-after-load 'whatever ...)

vs

    (eval-after-load "whatever" ...)

I thought, after reading documentation[1], that:

- with a symbol, it would load whatever package immediately, and then run the
  extra code after that

- with a string, it would wait for whatever package to be loaded, and then run
  the extra code after that

But you infirmed what I was thinking.

Thanks for your input!

Best regards,
  Seb

Footnotes:

[1] I can't find exactly which one anymore, though, between C-h f or the GNU
Emacs Lisp Reference Manual or ...

--
Sebastien Vauban