Re: Is it possible to run rgrep in emacs on Win32?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is it possible to run rgrep in emacs on Win32?
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 12:29:19 +0300

> From: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
> Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 11:21:41 +0200
>
> Platform: emacs 23.2.1,
>           GnuWin32 FindUtils 4.2.20-2
>           GnuWin32 Grep-2.5.4

What version of Windows is that?

> Does anyone know of a way to make the emacs rgrep command work on
> windows?

First, try Emacs 23.3 or later, there were some changes made there to
fix problems with very long command lines, perhaps you are hitting
that limit.  If that doesn't help, maybe advice below will.

"M-x rgrep" works for me on Windows XP, but I use Fiindutils that I
built myself, as the GnuWin32 provided port is broken (in particular,
xargs is affected).  You can find my port here:

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/

However, lately someone told me that my build doesn't work well on
Windows Vista and later, because Microsoft changed the way quoted
wildcards are processed by the startup code that globs them: now
wildcards are globbed even if they are quoted.  If you are using such
a new version of Windows, the only solution I know of is to downgrade
to an even older version 4.1 of Findutils from here:

  http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

I think someone told me that this port does work on newer Windows
versions.

HTH