RE: Emacs: Problems of the Scratch Buffer

From: Ludwig, Mark
Subject: RE: Emacs: Problems of the Scratch Buffer
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 17:33:07 +0000

Not consistently, and it would be more useful if it just sat there
indefinitely.  It times out, right?  Also, if you touch any key that it isn't
expecting, it disappears, doesn't it?

At the moment, "emacs -Q" (23.1 on Windows) is dropping me into *scratch* ...
(*shrug*) but I know I sometimes see that banner....  I thought I understood
this, but anyway it's making the original argument rather well, I think.

Anyway, I've been an Emacs Lisp hacker for >20 years, and I very rarely use
*scratch*; when I do, it has never been first thing I wanted to do....  (I also
rather dislike the 'reuse' characteristics that keep placing newer output from
repeated Lisp expressions at the end....)

Cheers,
Mark