Noob Needs Help with TAGS

From: Cyberclops
Subject: Noob Needs Help with TAGS
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 18:15:45 -0700 (PDT)

I am an extreme noob when it comes to emacs.  I was getting tired of the lag
of using remote desktop to use my gui editor of choice ... SlickEdit.  So
now I am using ssh and running emacs.

One of the great things that Slick edit did was tagging.  You could put your
cursor on an item and hit Ctrl-. to go to it's definition.  If there were
multiple possible definitions it would pop up a window with all of the
possibilities and let you chose.  It would also remember where you navigated
from and a simple Ctrl-, would take you back.

SlickEdit would also automatically update your tagfile when you changed a
file and the latest version would even do this retagging in the background.

I am trying to get tagging working for me in emacs.  I am using exuberent
ctags.  I know that the M-. command takes me to the definition.  However,
since I am working on an Android tree there is a multilevel directory
structure and every time I want to use the tags I have to specify the
directory its in.

Is there a way to invoke emacs indicating the path to TAGS so that I don't
have to specify it every time.

Also, is there a way to be able to navigate back after using M-.  and to
have the TAGS updated when you save a file.

thanks,

Lowell Dennis