Re: Extended ascii characters in emacs lisp

From: PJ Weisberg
Subject: Re: Extended ascii characters in emacs lisp
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 16:25:08 -0700

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Richard H Lee
<ricardohenrylee@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi (again),
>
> I'm using fill-column-indicator.el to set a column margin at column 80 in
> emacs. Currently it uses the pipe "|" symbol as the margin character.
>
> I would like to change it one of the extended ascii characters, e.g. the
> solid block / long vertical pipe. I can set it to standard ascii characters
> using:
>
> (setq fci-rule-character ?\101)
>
> e.g. this will set the character to "A". But if I go over 127 into
> extended-ascii, I get:
>
> Invalid read syntax: ?

Actually, it can go up to 511 (a.k.a. "?\777").

See:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/General-Escape-Syntax.html

> What is the emacs lisp syntax for extended ascii characters?

Standard way according to the above link is to use the unicode code
point, i.e. "?\u2503".  You might want to just use a character
literal, "?┃", if you don't mind having a ┃ in your source file.

-PJ

Gehm's Corollary to Clark's Law: Any technology distinguishable from
magic is insufficiently advanced.