RE: Emacs: Problems of the Scratch Buffer

From: Ludwig, Mark
Subject: RE: Emacs: Problems of the Scratch Buffer
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 22:13:17 +0000

I have similar feelings.  It might use *scratch* more if it were in text mode,
because mostly my spur-of-the-moment uses of Emacs in my Windows development
environment are to "neutralize" copied text before pasting into some tool
that's paying too much attention to formatting.  (I almost always just want the
simple text, and sometimes it's surprisingly hard to get the stuff back to
simple text after pasting it.)

I know how to change the mode and how to make that permanent, but haven't
because I have another personal journal-like file open in a buffer that is in
text mode all of the time (so use it for neutralizing text), and for those few
occasions when I need Lisp interpretation, I switch back to *scratch* and do so.

If there were something like M-x scratch, I probably would just delete
*scratch*, and in this mythical world, if there were a further option to not
create *scratch* unless there is nothing else for Emacs to show, I would use
that too.

Now, can anyone tell me why *scratch* has RET bound to (newline) instead of
(eval-print-last-sexp)?  Seems that the bindings of RET and C-j are reversed
for common uses....

Cheers,
Mark